Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Mar 8 2009 Deut 7-9, Mark 15

Scripture
So when the centurion, who stood opposite Him, saw that He cried out like this and breathed His last, he said, “Truly this Man was the Son of God!” Mark 15:39

Observation
I can imagine his day started as any other day. He was a soldier and he was expected to carry out his orders. Rome ran a tight ship and would not tolerate crimes again the state. Executions had become an ordinary part of his routine and this day would be no different…at least he thought it wouldn’t.

Application
I wonder at what point he realized this was no ordinary execution. Was it when he noticed the crowd? It surely was a larger than normal crowd. Was it when the victim was nailed to the cross? Instead of cursing and spiting insults this man prayed for my forgiveness. Was it when he promised one of the other criminals’ paradise? He’d certainly never heard anything like that before. Maybe it was right before his death; instead of defeat, this man was shouting something that almost sounded like victory.

Jesus said if I be lifted up, I will draw all men unto me. Even in his hour of death, Jesus has kept his promise.

Prayer

Lord, it still hurts me to think of what you went through to save me. Please forgive me for causing you to endure the cross.

No comments: